I think when you step back and examine your life, you call it “taking inventory”. Right? Well, that’s what I’m calling it. I’ve been taking inventory of my life. How much of me is there to go around? I just don’t want to be one of those women who try make everyone around them think that they are good moms because they just don’t have one single minute to themselves. That isn’t true. Even with kids– you make your own choices. I think we have a pretty good balance of time with E and grown-up time. But we’ve had to work at it. With some of my extra time, as you know, I’ve been doing a lot of baking. 🙂
That being said, I’ve sort of struck out into unknown waters for myself. I am selling cupcakes. Who knew? I’ve completed a few orders already and have been working on ways to get my name out in the community. I had a meeting last week with a woman from the university. She has great ideas, advice, and insight about small business in Fairbanks. She hooked me up with another small business woman and I am going to be selling at the farmer’s market this Saturday. That is exciting stuff! However… back to the inventory thing…
I don’t have enough room in my life right now to take on a small business that has weekly committments. I can’t do a booth at the market yet. I have a full time (+) job, and a family that I actually like to hang out with. So… I am working at the market this Saturday and I will see how it goes. I would like to just take orders now and then, but I need a way to get people to taste these little guys. Maybe a holiday bazaar or two this Fall. That will be enough, for now.
However exciting all of this is, I have other committments in my life that come first. Family. Ministry Stuff. My own sanity.
I know there are things that I need to get done in ministry at Zion. Even after 6 years, those things remain unclear, but I just know that I’m not finished there. So I need to focus. I can still do the baking that I love… I just need to be careful about how much I take on at once.
My hope is that no one else takes over the cupcake market before I’m ready to really run with it. 🙂
Filed under Cupcakes, Life
(E discovered teething biscuits– disgusting and delicious)
I am prepared with a rather long list of excuses as to why I haven’t posted in a while. Get ready…
- Last weekend was Solstice in Fairbanks, which means a lot of fun stuff to do around town- including the Midnight Sun Festival where we got some good fair food and enjoyed the awesome sunshine (all night).
- I officially named the cupcake business “yum”.
- I set up a meeting with a woman at the Cooperative Extension, they have a division that helps small businesses get started. We will meet to talk about what can happen next.
- I baked for the Bolz’s Bake Sale/Garage Sale.
- I now have three more orders. Whoo!
- Elliot is still trying to crawl… he just won’t pick up his belly off the floor. He is making it so much harder for himself.
- I started working out 4 days a week and I’m feeling GREAT! (granted, it’s only week two).
- I applied for a job that I was WAY under qualified for. It felt good just to beef up my resume.
- I did a cupcake decorating birthday party for my now 11-year-old friend, Maddie. It was fun! The girls were so intense about their cupcake designs.
- We also swear E said “Daddy” the other morning when Andy woke him up. He said “Mama” long ago… more like “Mamamamama”. I’ll take it.
- Our vacuum cleaner died a slow painful death & we have a shedding dog. Ewww…
- We are still trying to plant grass around the yard. It’s a slow process, mostly because we are lazy.
- Andy got a new (and awesome) grill for father’s day and it took both of us to put it together.
- I added a “yum” page to the blog (did you see it?). It has photos of cupcakes that have been good and will soon have a menu & price sheet.
- “So You Think You Can Dance” is on TWO nights a week.
I think those are all of my reasons. I’m back to posting (we’ve heard that before).
Last weekend was BEAUTIFUL in Fairbanks. On Saturday I got up early and brought cupcakes over to our friends’ bake sale and then I got coffee and went to the farmer’s market. It was so packed! It was great to be out in the morning, enjoying the sunshine, the people and the great stuff at the FM. I got to have a great little conversation with Gretchen from “Gretchen’s Confections” about starting a business. I picked up some lettuce from our CSA farm and had a lovely morning. E and Andy were at home playing and sleeping. Flying solo feels good every now and again.
I am missing riding my scooter this summer. I am still really upset that it’s socially unacceptable (or illegal) to carry your baby on your back on a motorized vehicle. Andy said I should get one of those bike trailers and throw E in the back… I still think that’s frowned upon.
Filed under Cupcakes, Life
I have been feeling particularly… restless. Not in the active, get things done kind of way. More like in the cranky, depressed, unsatisfied with my life kind of way. I know I have not been a fun person to be around. I find myself taking inventory of my life and just not really being happy with the sum of the parts. Not that I’m doing any addition, I just get this weird feeling like there is so much more and I’m somehow missing out. I am not sure what I’m missing out on, though. I love my family, I love my friends, most days I love my job. I just feel so… average. Does that sound crazy? I think it sounds childish and spoiled.
I’m thinking and praying about what this might mean for me. (I know, you’ve all heard that before). But because of this I do have a reignited fire for getting a cupcake business rolling. I stalled for a while because I realized that I need to get quite a few permits and find a commercial kitchen before I can do regular sale to the public. But for now, I can operate on word-of-mouth publicity. I have an order for 50 (!) cupcakes in July. I just did a birthday party with seven lovely girls. It was a blast. They were surprisingly so intense about their cupcake designs. I loved every minute! SO…
The next task is finalizing a name. Here are some that I’ve narrowed it down to:
- a cake of your own
- sugar rush
- lick the spoon
- eighty nine
Let me know what you think.
Filed under Cupcakes, Life