It’s true. I turned THIRTY on Saturday.
Most of my friends are older than me by several years, so they sort of laugh at me when I say it. They don’t look at me with darkened eyes and furrowed brows as if my life were over. And really… I don’t feel that way. There are songs and novels and hilarious blogs written all about how thirty is “old”. REALLY?!
I feel like I am finally a grown-up. I mean, MAYBE now people will take me seriously. Right? Ha.. I don’t think that’s going to happen. I feel like I am just now feeling really comfortable in my own skin. I am finally feeling like I might have things to offer. That I might have skills and talents that are uniquely mine. I am just getting the hang of this marriage thing. And don’t get me started on motherhood… I have already forgotten what to do with a newborn and now I’m going to have another. Sheesh.
I am just getting started in this world. I have no idea what I’ve been doing since high school, but I am certain it has something to do with where I am now. And now, I am in a good place. I’ve had many tough lessons… some learned and some regretfully ignored. God is still teaching and leading me in ways that I never imagined.
Because I love to write lists and because this is my blog…
Lessons I’ve Learned that Got Me to THIRTY:
– It’s okay to just be who you are.
– It’s also okay to work on who you are.
– Relationships are really hard if you want to do them right.
– I am not 15 years old anymore… I can stand up for what I really think.
– God’s plans are, in fact, better than my plans.
– Taking care of my family gives me a great sense of pride.
– If I could cure one thing in this broken world it would be mental illness.
– Your history is part of you… for better or worse… but it doesn’t make you who you are.
Thirty feels pretty good. A whole new beginning to a chapter of my life that I’ve been looking forward to. I want to soak it in. I am hoping I have more lessons to learn and more wisdom to bring into this next decade.